The first step is for me to take a briefing from the company leader. At least thirty minutes is required for this step and it is normally done on the phone. In person meetings are also available if after the initial call we establish we can help one another.
I will ask:
- About the background of the company and what it is you want to achieve.
- The key features of your business e.g. which sectors, project values, details of directors and their intentions, details of any debts and unsatisfied Professional Indemnity claims.
- Your price, to sell or purchase.
- Details of your employees.
- Turnover, gross profit and operating profit.
- Brief details of premises (portability of business, lease renewal dates, availability of freeholds etc).
- Roughly how many customers and average spend.
- Your timeframe for the completion of the deal.
Once the above has been discussed I will be able to propose a way forward that will be based on your degree of urgency, preferred fee structure and purchase or sale price. A formal proposal will be sent to you and once agreed I will begin to pass you details of companies that match the brief.
Company owners known to me have requested their accountants produce both a synopsis and a more comprehensive document about their company. If you already have this then it would be useful to have sight of it.